Financially supporting a child after divorce is important. In Kentucky this is most commonly done through a child support order, which requires one parent to pay monthly support to the other. However, it is important to remember that life changes, and a support order that was appropriate at the time of divorce might need to be modified.

For example, a noncustodial parent who gets a new job may either need to reduce or increase his or her monthly payments. Child support orders do not automatically change just because of a change in income, though. If this parent can no longer afford to pay support, he or she should petition the court to modify the order. On the other hand, a custodial parent can also petition for a modification if the noncustodial parent starts earning more.

A change in income is perhaps one of the more common reasons for requesting a modification. This does not mean that it is the only reason one may request a modification. Indeed, there are many reasons why a parent in Kentucky might ask for a change to a support order, including:

  • Higher cost of living
  • Change in a child’s needs
  • A parent becomes disabled
  • Incarceration of a parent

It does not matter whether a child’s parents are married or divorce — he or she deserves financial support. Making sure that a child support order fully reflects a child’s needs is just one way of accomplishing this. When a support order is no longer in line with those needs, parents should be sure to consider their options for modification.