Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Serving Families In The Bluegrass Since 1993.

Putting You At Ease, Protecting Your Rights

How should parents approach child custody?

| Mar 8, 2021 | Child Custody

Divorce is as much an emotional process as it is a legal one. Parents are often particularly concerned about how divorce can affect their children’s emotional wellbeing, too. For some, this means prioritizing child custody and minimizing conflict when possible. 

Focus on communication and negotiation 

Divorced parents still share something in common — their children. This means that even if a couple struggled to communicate during their marriage, committing to open communication regarding child custody and rearing is in their child’s best interests. Making that commitment to communication can also open the door for negotiations, giving parents the opportunity to create their own custody agreement rather than relying on a Kentucky judge to do so. 

Maintain active parenting 

Since divorce can be difficult for a child, it is important for parents to remain actively involved. Not only will this provide continued emotional support, but it may also work in one parent’s favor when working out a custody agreement. This is particularly important for parents who are concerned about being pushed out of their children’s lives. Examples of staying actively involved include: 

  • Dropping kids off at school 
  • Attending sports games 
  • Keeping up with school events 
  • Showing up on special occasions 

Although it can be hard, Kentucky parents may also want to work hard to keep the details of the divorce to themselves. Children are not sounding boards for their parents problems, and revealing arguments or conflicts about child custody can cause a great deal of emotional pain. Instead, parents who feel they need extra support may instead consider speaking with a knowledgeable family law attorney.